<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, August 27, 2002

Dale: Another Installment in a Seemingly Endless Series of Lunch Blogs.

I would be remiss if I failed to point out to you the weblog of I. Shawn McElhinney, Rerum Novarum. Given that I'm a big Leo XIII fan, he starts off with a big lead at first, so to speak. (P.S., any links to information re: Pope Leo's canonization cause will be greatly appreciated.)

But then there's the substance...

I've known Shawn mostly through interactions with him on Steve Ray's message board. Let me say this: he's one of the most thorough and charitable Catholic writer/apologists I've had the pleasure to read. When you read one of Shawn's essays, bring a lunch--he's comprehensive. But he also manages the difficult balancing act of being readable as well as thorough, which is no mean feat.

In short, you'll find no better traditional Catholic defender of the Second Vatican Council, its legitimacy and actual reforms (as opposed to the dread "Spirit of Vatican II (TM)" variety) than Shawn.

Which is a roundabout way of referring you to a series of his reflections on L'Affaire Dreher [remember who coined that first :) ] that Shawn published yesterday, calling for a ceasefire in one of the bloodier skirmishes. Start at the link, and scroll down, not up. I agree with the insights, and thank him for the kind references to me and my (tiny) role in the discussion.

Finally, to amplify the statement in the reflections: despite my criticisms of yesterday, I definitely appreciate Stephen Hand's work. Mr. Hand does something seemingly unique for an orthodox Catholic: he emphasizes that Catholic social teachings are also part of the heritage and tradition of orthodox Catholicism, and refuses to cede them to so-called progressives. This determination is seen in his links to articles on Dorothy Day, testimonies by those who serve Christ at Catholic Worker facilities, and (gasp!) criticism of Catholics who seem a touch too comfortable with unbridled capitalism, to name but a few examples. This is commendable, and ought to be imitated.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?