<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, August 22, 2002

Dale: Lunch Blog, Part I

A/k/a, No-Scandal Radio. I have to keep my blood pressure down somehow.

What I've been reading lately: The Works of G.K. Chesterton. It's poetry, and when he's on, G.K.'s work enthralls.

Yes, the above title is out of print, but there are plenty of collections available on Amazon. "Ballad of the White Horse" and "Lepanto" are epic standouts, although his lesser-known compositions are also enjoyable. If I had to describe his style, I would use this comparison: if you like Kipling, you'll like Chesterton.

A Landscape With Dragons by Michael O'Brien (of "Father Elijah" fame) is a useful diagnosis of the problems with popular culture aimed at children. Even where you find yourself disagreeing with him, you have to concede that his argument is well-presented. The recommended reading list at the end alone is worth the price. A must for parents.

Catholic Christianity, by Peter Kreeft. Everything by Kreeft is good, and this is no exception. A beautiful survey of the Catholic Faith, well-narrated.

Good reading!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?