<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, August 20, 2002

Heather: This could be from either of us, but I won the coin flip.
Madeleine took her first step yesterday, toward her daddy (how I wanted it). She promptly collapsed into his arms but she really did take a step on her own. It won't be long until we're chasing as fast as we can run, I know, and we'll still have to carry her all over the planet as she requests. I was deathly afraid that she would wait and take her first steps next week, after I was back at work. I missed her start crawling--that was at Misty's. At least we have this.
She took her second step this morning at the doctor's office, this time toward me. It was my second prenatal visit, which sounds kind of weird as I still have no signs besides amenorrhea. I'm barely 11 weeks along.
When the nurse asked about signs (swelling, weight gain, sensitivity, etc.), and I said, "Nothing, not a blessed thing," and Dale concurred, she was a little concerned. Dale was able to make this appointment as he had a bonus day off; he wanted to take it when both of his girls would be there.
So after taking my weight (I've actually lost 3 pounds--chasing an infant can do that) and blood pressure (102/80) and showing us to the examining room, she came in with the Doppler. I wasn't expecting it, as last pregnancy it was my third visit. Given I've had no symptoms, even though they took blood and urine last time and would have called if I wasn't, she wanted to be sure. She even forewarned that she might not be able to get heart tones as it's still so early. Well.... she got them. Loudly.
That's a strong little heart in there, audible at 11 weeks, going about 180 beats a minute. It wasn't easy and at first it was in the background, but then she got them so clearly... now the little one growing in me seems so much more real. The tests weren't wrong and God has seen fit that our love overflow again to a second child. I got tears in my eyes.
We proceeded to the zoo and I was on a not infrequent basis hugging my tummy, where this whole separate person is growing fingers and toes. Maddie wasn't terribly impressed with the animals but I think she had a good time. She was asleep through the coolest part (no pun intended)--the Circle of Life Arctic Exhibit. There's this plexiglass tunnel, over and beside which is the polar bear pool. One swam right up to it and then was walking on it--right over my head! Dale caught my attention for it. That was just awesome, though a polar bear's backside isn't the most aesthetically pleasing thing I've ever seen. Their feet are enormous!
So today has been a good day. We heard the coming baby's heartbeat four weeks earlier than we were expecting, Maddie took her second step, we had a wonderful day at the zoo, it's not quite 6 PM and daddy and daughter are dozing on the couch in front of one of his favorite TV shows (one of his favorite episodes, even). Does life get much better than this?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?