<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, September 23, 2002

Dale: It's not my church anymore, so I suppose I can't be too upset: Alma UMC removed the altar rails in the main part of the Church. They did so to extend the elevated altar/lectern stage, and to move the choir. Thumbs down, Roger--I remember kneeling there after taking the Lord's Supper. Yes, some Methodists do that. They even believe it imparts grace. But at least they haven't tinkered with the stained glass, nor did they remove the handcarved wood flanking the high altar. Not nearly as ornate as the examples at that link, but it's still beautiful. The wedding was well done, if comparatively short (my dad approved--full-blown Catholic weddings, complete with a Mass, are not his speed).

But Maddie, being a full-blown supporter of the Charismatic Renewal, got bored and loud. Daddy decided to hustle her out before she drowned out all of the words of the vows. I took her on a tour of the church of my youth, pointing out the various rooms. Then I remembered my favorite part of the building, and hoped it was still there. I walked upstairs, and managed to find the chapel. It was still there, stained glass and all. I opened the doors and found it lit mostly by the sunlight streaming in through the glass, with a peaceful silence pervading throughout. The chapel still has the rails, and a detail that had never registered before: one of the three panels of glass over the altar depicts the Eucharist, in what struck me as a decidedly Catholic version: a circular wafer hovering over a cup. Curioser and curiouser.

I trundled a somewhat quieter Maddie downstairs to see my parents, who were watching my oldest nephew, Aubrey. They agreed to take on another grandchild as I showed Heather the chapel and rest of the church.

We attended the reception, but Maddie ensured that we left early. It was probably just as well, as the three of us were all exhausted by this point.

Sunday Mass was filled with a pleasant surprise: a superb homily by Bp. Untener, bringing out the graciousness of the Gospel passage for the week. Very well done--if I rack him when he's wrong, I must praise him when he's right. The installation of Fr. Hammond was well-received by the parish, which filled St. Mary's to overflowing on Sunday. For the first time in seven months, Maddie slept through most of the Mass, instead of offering her usual glosses on the liturgy. It meant that she would spend more of the van ride home awake, but there's always trade offs...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?