<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, December 31, 2002

Christmas and New Year Update.

Dale:
Well, for those of you who have read the blog for the past year, a hearty thanks for your comments, prayers and good wishes. Hopefully, we'll be able to keep this up as Price Baby #2 winds his way toward birth. Albeit at a more sprightly pace than that seen over the past two weeks...

The hiatus was caused, of course, by Christmas and the preparations for same. I'll let Heather tell you about Christmas with her family (which we hosted). I'll talk about mine. This year, we travelled to my parents for Christmas day (we alternate years for the holidays). 145 miles one way, packed with gifts and enough gear to survive for three days. I say this without irony or affectation: Thank God for the minivan. This year, we were able to travel both ways in something approximating comfort. In previous years, it was The Clampetts' Christmas Odyssey, complete with whining dog. Not this year: it was actually a fairly pleasant trip this time around.

I had Christmas Eve off (as did Heather, but of course, teachers have all sorts of time off), which meant we were able to hit the road around 1pm. This was a very, very good thing, and boded well for the journey. What was even better was that Maddie decided to sleep for most of the way. We arrived at 4pm, to the delight of my Mom and Dad. Maddie generously allowed Neema (my mom) and Papa (my dad) to "ooh" and "ahh" over her, looting the toy box in the process. She was happy to see her grandma, who is able to come down and visit her every six weeks or so. Dad, 6'3" and 290 lbs., is another matter. Frankly, she doesn't know what to make of him, which is a little sad, given how much he loves her.

To be honest, she regards most men with standoffish suspicion. I'm an obvious and blessed exception. The more they look like Dahda, the better: My brother in law (Heather's brother) comes off very well in her book, given his black hair and beard. Dad and I don't resemble each other closely, so she's nervous around him. While this didn't change much over Christmas, it is starting to change. She knows who he is, and happily points to him when asked "Where's Papa?"

As with all things involving the TLH&B Prices and major holidays, we weren't quite ready for Christmas after arrival. We had to wrap the gifts we'd brought, and I had to do more shopping for Heather [don't ask about my solo shopping trip on 12/23]. I trundled off to KMart with a small list, beefed up by Dad (who had a craving for popcorn) and Heather (who noted that we needed cassettes for the video camera). To this I added Heather's last gift, which in the past few years has involved jewelry. This year was no exception. Fortunately for me, the store had a nice diamond and ruby pendant, which I snapped up with gratitude. I hurried out of the store, and got home shortly before 6pm, the time scheduled for our traditional oyster stew and ham sandwich dinner. Don't ask me where this tradition came from, but I can't imagine a Christmas without it.

After dinner, we frosted the sugar cookies, which along with strong coffee, fuel the adults during the early rise on Christmas morning. Following the cookies, I ordered everyone to stay out of the basement while I wrapped gifts. For five terrifying minutes, I thought I'd lost Heather's pendant. I bought it at the jewelry counter, and had to do more shopping. I did not put it in the bags with the other items, so I thought I'd left it in the car. Fortunately, my mother suggested I search my coat pocket. Whew.

I then went down to wrap Heather's gifts, which also included How The Irish Saved Civilization, and From Conception to Birth: A Life Unfolds. As an aside, the latter book is breathtaking. It also proves that my 16 month old daughter is already smarter than Kate Michelman: when shown a picture of a 52 day old baby in the womb, Maddie pointed to the picture and said "Baby."

My niece and nephews also did well, with Molly getting a talking SpongeBob and doll accessories. My oldest nephew, Aubrey, received a remote control police car. My brother's other son, Brennen, got Hot Wheels equipment and a P-38 Lightning. [Editorial note: Tut-tutting about "war toys" will be printed and sent to people who housebreak Rottweiler puppies.] I bought the Lightning as a lark, largely because I tried to think what a four year old boy would find cool. The P-38 is very, very cool, and this toy includes a display stand and retractable landing gear. In a word, it's sweet. Brennen carried it around like it was a skin graft, which made his uncle quite happy. As to the rest of the largesse we bestowed, Mom got special print software to help her do her newsletters and art projects, as well as fabric paints, Dad received a three-foot high rolling tool box, my brother got a couple of DVDs, and my sister in law got a coffee maker upgrade (she downs almost as much coffee as I do). Maddie was pleased with all her gifts, and all of her cousins', too. We had to separate her from the presents she'd taken from the distraught Brennen. After that, there was peace in the valley.

My mother's tasty roast ostrich (read: steroid-addled turkey) caused the usual L-tryptophan coma, and therefore the afternoon included an unavoidable nap for the Prices. In fact, the only downside was a screw up caused by an unreliable local church schedule. The local parish announced an 11 am Mass on its billboard. As we were leaving at 10:45 on Christmas morning, we learned that the Mass was at 9am. The only blotch on an otherwise wonderful Christmas.

We hope you are having a blessed Christmas season. From all of us: Have a Happy New Year!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?