<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, December 12, 2002

Heather: I know a purchase we're making this weekend!
Some of you readers are parents, so please tell me if this means what I think it means.
Madeleine has been saying various words for quite a while. I made a list a while back and it was over two dozen, so that was impressive. Her most recent have been "stah" (star--yes, she knows it's on the top of the tree) and "poop." That she would say pretty much only when you're changing her diaper, whether she was poopy or not. There is a distinction between "poop" and "Pooh." She says the second P for diaper contents.
Anyway. This morning we're having breakfast together. She pauses from her Cheerios and sippy, makes her pooping face for a moment, then another. (You parents know what I'm talking about.) Then those big blue eyes look at me and she says, "Poop."
This is the first time such an event has happened.
I didn't know whether to fish or cut bait. Finish her breakfast or get her to the changing table? Sure enough, she had pooped (not much, but that's not the point). She knew what she did and could tell me. Yes, I know, the hard part is getting her to say it BEFORE she does it with enough time to get her to the potty (which is the purchase we're making this weekend), instead of AFTER, but the process seems to have started. I wasn't going to worry about getting a potty seat until after Christmas, and that was just to have for her to get used to.
I told Dale that if she's potty trained by the time our son is born, not only is she getting a prom dress when the time comes but she's getting a car on her 16th birthday too.
I know, kids regress too; it's not always a slow but steady march forward to self-sufficiency. This seemed to be a giant step forward, though, and is another on the long list of Reasons Maddie Is An Easy Baby (And A Wonderful Gift From God).

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?