<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, December 04, 2002

Heather:
I've been doing some thinking about the whole abortion issue. The Democratic party has it as a plank in its platform; it is said that its importance is that of a sacrament. I kind of think that blasphemes the whole idea of sacraments, but I get the gist. As I've said before, it has become the litmus test for feminism, too. Both of these circumstances make me quite sad. I agree with so many things with both of these groups but am repelled--nay, revolted--by their stand on abortion. Anyway. Back to my original thought.
The argument put forth by the abortion proponents is "choice." A woman's control over her own body. If that breaks down, their argument vanishes like the puff of smoke it should be.
See if you can follow me along for this ride; it's kind of convoluted.
I teach French and Spanish, not science or biology, so I may be mistaken. My experience with genetics is from a 9th grade class (I think I averaged a C in there, maybe B). All of the cells in my body share the same DNA, right? Whether eyes, hair, blood, muscle, bone--whatever. Even cancerous tumors share the DNA of the host body, don't they? That's what makes those all part of the same body. That's how DNA evidence works, right? Whether they get skin, blood, or hair samples, they can identify or rule out the suspect.
Are you following me?
Right now I'm pregnant for the second time. This time, we found out what we are having and it's a boy.
My question for the pro-abortion folks is, if it's solely MY body concerned here, and I'm a woman, how can I give birth to a MALE child? Pele in there doesn't share my DNA; only half of it is mine. The other half is his daddy's, which makes him identical to neither of us. He's not some tumor to be excised as he is someone else on the most basic, primary level. Sure, there are women with breast implants and those bags of silicone or saline don't share their DNA. The implants don't have DNA to be concerned with. There are others who have their stomach stapled or nips and tucks, sure. Those procedures don't involve interfering with a "body of cells" with different DNA.
So if this growing, kicking, thumb-sucking being who has a heartbeat and can hear his daddy's voice isn't a part of my body (as he doesn't share my DNA), what is he? Must be someone else, right? And what right do I have to choose to kill him?
Simply put, I don't.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?