<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, January 10, 2003

Heather: Recently, two magazines to which I subscribe both had articles about the issue of abortion. Perhaps they were both inspired by Roe v. Wade this month so it's not a coincidence, but I don't recall the precise details.
I was disturbed by the assumption by the editorial staff, the writer, publisher, whomever had control of these publications that their readership was entirely pro-abortion. Yes, I know, women's magazines have covered the issue of abortion and debated both arguments (some would say ad nauseum), but the glossing over any opposition and obvious belief that any modern, educated woman who can read and count higher than 10 without taking her shoes off is going to be pro-abortion left me bereft, to say the least.
One article, however, gave me pause. It was a synthesis of interviews of doctors who have been practicing since before Roe v. Wade and remember the "bad old days," as they could be called. The days of coathangers, knitting needles, intentional falls down flights of stairs... deaths of women and their unborn child.
I'm not going to argue that legal abortion significantly reduces the risk to the life and health of the mother and that justifies it. I'm not even going to look in that direction, so keep breathing.
The article reminded me, made clear to me, that women have been seeking abortion since before it was legal and if it is made illegal again, some will still seek it. I know trashy romance novels aren't exactly the most reliable source for accurate information, but I have read at least a few where one character or another seeks to "get rid of" the child she's carrying. (Of course, it's never the heroine, but that's another blog entry.)
I really don't believe that the pro-life forces that be would argue that getting an abortion should be a capital crime. That goes against the grain of the true meaning of "pro-life," in my opinion. Despite a woman submitting to a horrible procedure (let's not go into the gory details), she should not soon die of a perforated uterus or some other hemorrhage. The overwhelming commentary on the murder of Dr. Slepian tells me that prevailing opinion is abortionists also should not be sentenced to death.
To be concise, I don't believe that making abortion illegal is going to eliminate it. Our government cannot legislate morality; they do what it takes to keep their jobs (get re-elected).
What needs to happen is a change in our society where children are regarded as the blessings they are, if not to the woman giving birth then to the family who adopts. I recognize asking for such change is akin to asking water to flow uphill. This change must take root in those couples who welcome every child God gives them. The cries of all Rachel's childless sisters must be heard, lamenting their empty wombs. All of God's gifts meant nothing to Abram until Isaac, and I'm sure he was more valued than the rest combined. We must realize that the third television, new car every other year, and monolithic homes do not grant us immortality nor increase the glory of God.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?