<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, February 06, 2003

Heather: About this war thing...
I'm relieved that I'm not the only Catholic with ambivalent feelings about the situation with Iraq. I heard on the radio that France (via Chirac, I think) that war should be a last resort. In the parlance of my students: Well, DUH.
I wasn't able to see Colin Powell's presentation to the UN yesterday, or even listen to it. I've been able to read transcripts from the beginning of it, though. Of COURSE Iraq is going to say it's all fabrications and falsehoods; what else could they say? "Yep, that's a mobile biological weapons factory. Heh, heh. You got us! Can you see my house with those satellites?"
In talking with a colleague, though, he maintains war never solves anything and is set against it. He also feels that Americans--specifically Arab-Americans, but all of us to some degree--are losing rights all over the place and we don't even notice or mind. We're told "It's for the war on terrorism," or to protect us, or for national security, or the like.
However, I put the question to him. So what should we do then? He didn't have an answer.
I admit I was something of a neo-hippie in college; the tie-dye and peacenik without the pot-smoking. That question was a difficult one for me to ask when part of me wanted to blithely agree. War is always bad! Keep our soldiers safe! What if the schools got all the money they need and the army had to have a bake sale to build a bomber? No blood for oil! etc.
Then I look into a pair of innocent blue eyes. She has her arms raised and is saying, "Mama, mama." I pick her up and hold her close.
I feel callous saying this next, but out it must. We have an entirely volunteer military. All of the soldiers, sailors, pilots, etc. chose to sign themselves up for the job they have. They had to be at least 18 and in theory recognized the risks they may have to take. My daughter has not.
I believe in my heart that Saddam has the weapons he's not allowed by 1441. Whether our government has proved that beyond a reasonable doubt, I don't know. The world knows he has used such weapons against his own people. What would keep him from using them again once our forces are in Iraq? He obviously doesn't care about their effect on other Iraqis; how tempting would it be for him to unleash them when he's sure to get some Americans to boot?
If we go in to disarm him, we know it will be done. If we don't... what is to stop him from unleashing them on another civilian population, or from selling them to someone else who will?
Here's the callous part: A soldier is no more guilty than my daughter, but if I have to choose between one who signed up to risk his life for the freedom and safety of his compatriots and my 17-month-old little girl, I choose the former.
And I weep as I do it.

A Soldier's Dream
I dreamed kind Jesus fouled the big-gun gears;
And caused a permanent stoppage in all bolts;
And buckled with a smile Mausers and Colts;
And rusted bayonets with His tears.

And there were no more bombs, of ours or Theirs,
Not even an old flint-lock, nor even a pikel.
But God was vexed, and gave all power to Michael;
And when I woke he'd seen to our repairs.
--Wilfred Owen

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?