<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, May 07, 2003

Heather: Wow, three entries in two days! Overwhelming! Can you guess how the kids have been sleeping? Last night he was down around 9, and we didn't hear a peep from him until 4:45. Then he just wanted to nurse for about 10 minutes and I was back in bed. Maddie, however, came in to join us around 1:15. She then slept until 7:30 or so, though.

Today she spent at her aunt's, visiting the girls. It gives me some bonding time with just Dale III and a sort-of break with one non-mobile child to care for, and her the social outlet she got quite used to before her brother was born. Last week when I picked her up, the other girls (they're all girls, despite how my sister-in-law tries to welcome boys) circled me and the car seat like something out of Children of the Corn. Maddie, the youngest, elbowed her way to the front and started pushing them away--even her beloved cousin, Megan. "Way, guhs," she said several times. Apparently they were too close to the baby.
Today, the first touching moment happened after we got home. I popped him in his bouncy seat, got her that necessary sippy of milk, and began the dinner ritual--assembling ingredients and tools, cleaning off the table, etc. I looked over to check on the kids and they were fine. They were wonderful, in fact. He was contemplating the pattern on the couch upholstery three feet or so in front of him, and she was standing behind him nursing her milk. Her right arm was resting on the back of his chair, and she was alternately stroking and patting his head. Gently and lovingly. I pointed it out to my mom, who agreed. I think she likes him.

Another incident to tug your heartstrings happened later. I was in their room getting them to sleep. She was on her toddler bed, he in my arms crying. He's taken to having "evening fussies," which is what we called them when she had them. It's not bad enough to be called colic, but it still is no fun. What am I doing? Holding him, talking quietly in his ear, rocking him, trying to burp or feed him by turns. (The Mylicon finally worked.) What was my precious daughter doing? The same things to her little bear: holding it, rocking it, talking quietly to it.

If there be another more powerful demonstration of leading by example, I've yet to experience it.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?