<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, June 18, 2003

Heather: When I need an angel, she grows wings.
I've had an earache since this weekend. Yesterday my right ear started with this clear fluid discharge; I thought it would go away on its own. News flash: swimmer's ear does no such thing.
Since it wasn't any better today, I called the doc. Yes, said the receptionist, that should get checked out. She could squeeze me in at 2 this afternoon. Nuts, that's right at the end of naptime. Not to mention I'd have to take the kids with me, as I'd already imposed on Misty this week to get Dale's Jim Rome ticket.
Maddie went down for her nap with a complete lack of squabble, not terribly unusual. I was going to have to wake her an hour and a half into it, which she does sometimes on her own. While she was sleeping, I hung out with D, packed the smaller diaper bag (they're now in the same size diaper, if you can believe it), took it out to the minivan, which I also opened up and cooled off... With 15 minutes before waking her, I fed him, buckled him into his carrier, and set him near the back door.
She was rolling over as I reached for her. As I was changing her diaper, she stretched and looked up at me groggily. "Sihn," she requested. (Sing. She's the only one on the planet who likes my singing voice.) So I did, gently and quietly. She seemed to like the idea of going bye-bye, too.
Then I carried her to the back door, where I asked her to walk like a big girl. She even held my hand and went right out to the vehicle. I got her strapped in, then came around and got him.
The trip to the doc's was uneventful, her chirping in the back seat and him contemplating his feet. The GP is the same one we take the kids to, so it was familiar to her. I didn't even have to kick out the doorstops to keep her from wandering; she stuck within 5 feet of me. A fair share of the brief wait time she spent on my lap, observing her little brother. "Baby wake!" Yes, Madeleine, baby is awake.
Baby boy pooped. Change diaper. Temperature, blood pressure, otoscope, swimmer's ear. She walks within 6 feet of me, even turning to follow and miss the room with Mickey. Get prescription for eardrops, pay co-pay, no re-check appointment. And he pooped again. She takes my hand as we walk back out to the minivan and makes polite conversation while ransacking the diaper bag; I was occupied with his diaper. I instructed him not to poop again until we were home.
He was cranky until we got to the rumble strips on the expressway; for some unfathomable reason they soothed him to sleep. She stayed awake and amenable even while I waited in line to get my 'scrip filled. "Bies?" she asked while we waited. No, we won't be getting fries. I'm sorry, little girl.
She even went right in to the yard and followed me into the house when we got home.

I told Dale to check her back for wing buds when he bathed her tonight.

Dale: Yep: She has them.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?